Pre-Flight Guide – Before Leaving For Field
From Poland Lab Wiki
1. Flight Checklists
- 1.1 Preflight Checklist – Before Leaving for Field
- 1.1.1 UAS accessory list
- ❏ Transmitter (Figure 1.1a)
- ❏ Radio with USB cable
- ❏ UAV batteries and battery chargers
- ❏ Extra set of propellers/wings
- ❏ Camera(s) with fully charged batteries
- ❏ Multimeter (optional)
- ❏ Toolkit (wrench set, propeller hex-key, camera mount screws and screwdriver etc.) (Figure 1.1b)
- ❏ Camera gimbal
- ❏ SD cards with CHDK installed
- ❏ Color calibration panel
- ❏ Ground Control Points installed in field
- 1.1.2. Things to check before leaving for field
- ❏ An updated version of Mission Planner Software is installed on the field laptop.
- ❏ Has the field map been cached in the Mission Planner program? Details on map caching procedure are discussed below in section 2.4 (Note: This step is required only once per phenotyping field.)
- ❏ Does RC Transmitter have enough voltage? FrSky transmitter should have ≥ 9.4V charge.
- ❏ Are UAV batteries charged? 3-cell batteries should charge up to 12.6V.
- ❏ Is the laptop charged? Do you need/have a laptop charger?
- ❏ Ensure that you are familiar with the laws and regulations related to flying UAVs in your country/area. General laws in the United States require 400 feet maximum height and within line-of-sight flying.
- ❏ Make sure you have watched all the UAV manufacturer recommended tutorials before your first flight.
- ❏ When first flying your IRIS+, make sure to fly it away from populated areas and only in an open spaces.
- ❏ Before the first flight, make sure to perform a compass calibration otherwise this could lead to a bad behavior in GPS enabled modes. You can perform the compass calibration through APM or Mission Planner programs following this youtube video.